Thursday, August 21, 2008

Boston marriages revived?

I’m glad to see Broadsheet picking up on a topic I’ve discussed previously: the need to recognize other forms of partnership besides either heterosexual or gay ones. Although Carol Price’s post didn’t make the connection with the debate over gay marriage, she did pose the question, “Isn’t it time to legally recognize the bonds of friendship?” She cited others asking the question, noting articles on the subject in the Boston Globe and The New York Times.

No one in the articles or the blog post suggested the kind of systematic revision of the tax code I do, and several experts quoted seemed to miss the point altogether, dismissing the idea of giving friendships legal standing as typical American over-legislation. But Laura Rosenbury, a law professor at Washington University quoted by the Boston Globe, gets it:
"If the law decides to support some relationships, why not others that similarly involve care and support? What is it about marriage or marriage-like relationships - that is, relationships that are assumed to have sex in them?"
Jane Gross in the New York Times focuses on those who are single and childless and their need for support in old age. But this isn’t only an issue that should concern single women. It’s past due time for women to consider that most of us will spend less than half our lives married to a man (see my old article in Salon on this topic). I’ve already considered that my spouse is likely to die many years before me (sorry, sweetie) and that my friends will be the support of my old age.

No comments: